I had something on my meal plan tonight but I wasn’t in the
mood to make it. What I really wanted to bring to my table was an Italian meal
that my family loved. Since I had everything that I needed to make, I decided
to go ahead with a hearty warm Minestrone soup with Onion-Pepper focaccia
bread. Life’s boring if you never go off the plan, that’s for sure.
Anyway, I chose from various internet recipes for the soup
with the availability of ingredients on hand and just messed it with it fair
amount to make it Aromatic Happy home. So I decided to make use of chickpea in
lieu of cannellini beans and macaroni pasta coz that’s for sure easily
available in a toddler’s home. Otherwise, I mostly just modified things to be a
little simpler and work with what I have (plain water instead of vegetable
broth)! The result was a thick hearty, perfectly delicious soup for a cold
fall night.
Meanwhile, for the bread, we really enjoy focaccia bread at
Sweet tomatoes. Both my sons are big time bread lovers. Ever since I found the
recipe from http://cookclickndevour.com/herbs-and-onion-focaccia, I wanted to try it out. I thought the best way
to pair it was with a warm soup. So here it is, I just modified it to add
peppers. And, omg, you guys! It’s SO good. My kids went nuts for it, and they
jokingly tried to steal pieces from each other.
Minestrone Soup
Ingredients:
Olive oil
|
1Tbsp
|
Chopped Onion
|
½ Cup
|
Peeled diced carrots
|
½
Cup
|
Diced Roma tomatoes
|
2 Cups
|
Fined chopped French beans
|
½ Cup
|
Canned Chick peas
|
1 Cup
|
Finely chopped spinach
|
1 Cup
|
Finely chopped fresh basil
|
1 tsp
|
Dried Italian Seasoning
|
1 tsp
|
Garlic powder
|
1 tsp
|
Uncooked Elbow macaroni
|
¼ Cup
|
Freshly coarse ground black pepper
|
1 tsp
|
Water
|
2 cups
|
Parmesan cheese
|
For topping
|
Method:
Heat oil in a large
saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes or
until just lightly browned.
Add water, carrots, French beans, chickpea, basil,
dried Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, tomatoes and garlic powder.
Bring to
boil and reduce the heat, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for about 20
minutes, stirring occasionally. Add macaroni cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.Adjust spices to suit your taste. Serve hot with some parmesan cheese.
Onion-Pepper Focaccia
Ingredients:
All-purpose
flour
|
1 ½ Cups
|
Rapid rise
yeast
|
1tsp
|
Salt
|
¾ tsp
|
Warm water
|
To knead
|
Sugar
|
2 tsp
|
Thinly
sliced Onion
|
½ Cup
|
Thinly
sliced bell pepper
|
½ Cup
|
Dried
Italian seasoning
|
1 tsp
|
Olive oil
|
3 tbsp
|
Method:
Proof the yeast by
combining it with 1/4th cup warm water and sugar. Stir gently to dissolve.
Let
stand for 3 minutes until foam appears. Take all-purpose flour and salt in a
bowl.Add olive oil and mix well.
Once the dough is doubled, turn it on the counter.
Roll and stretch the dough into a rectangular/square shape about ½-inch thickness. Lay the flattened dough into a baking sheet and cover with a plastic wrap.
Let it rest for 1 more hour for second rising. After an hour, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Uncover the dough and dimple with your fingertips. Brush the surface with more olive oil and spread sliced onions, bell pepper and salt and sprinkle the Italian seasoning as needed.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges turn golden. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, slice, and serve warm.
Tips:
·
If you
have half of the baked loaf leftover, you can refrigerate or freeze it. First,
wrap it tightly in a plastic wrap, then in a foil. Keep in the refrigerator for
up to 2 days and in the freezer for a month.
·
Day old
bread can be toasted and used as croutons.
No comments:
Post a Comment